Record a receipt without issuing a customer invoice (Other Receipt)
There may be times when you need to record that you’ve received a payment but you haven’t issued a customer invoice. You can record this without creating a customer invoice, by using the Other Receipt option.
Common examples of when you would use an Other Receipt:
- To record daily till takings
- A one-off sale, such as an over the counter cash sale
- To someone who is not a regular customer
- To record a receipt to clear a Ledger balance
- Record Direct Debit receipts for a monthly subscription
To record an Other Receipt
- Go to Banking, then click on the relevant bank account.
- Click New Entry, then click Sale / Receipt.
- Click the Other Receipt tab, then check or enter the following information:
|Customer (optional)||If you want to record this receipt against a particular customer, enter the name here.
If it’s a new customer, click into the Search for a Customer box, then click Add a customer and complete the relevant details.
|Paid into Bank Account *||Check the correct bank account appears. If you need to change this, choose the relevant account.
Note: The current balance for the selected bank account displayed below this box.
|Method *||Click the required payment method.|
|Date Received *||Enter the date the payment was received.|
|Reference (optional)||If required, enter a reference for this receipt.|
|Amount Received *||Enter the total amount of the receipt.|
|Ledger Account||The default income ledger account appears. If required, you can choose a different one.|
|Details||If required you can enter more details about the sale, such as what the item was purchased.|
|VAT Rate *||Select the correct VAT rate for this transaction. The VAT is included in the total value and the appropriate VAT breakdown appears on your VAT return.|
|VAT Amount *||Based on the VAT rate entered, this value automatically calculates.
Note: If you edit the VAT Amount on a particular line, the Net and Total values for this line automatically recalculate. However, the Amount Received doesn’t update, so you’ll need to adjust this to match the total of all entry lines before saving the receipt.
|Total||This defaults to the value you entered in Amount Received. You can change this if required.|
* These details are compulsory.
- If the receipt was for several items of different values relating to different ledger accounts, or have different VAT rates, you can enter them on separate lines.
- Click Save, or to add another payment:
- Click on the Save arrow, then click Add Another and repeat steps 3 to 5.
You’ve successfully recorded the receipt. If this is a receipt you receive regularly, for example, once a week or once a month, you can now record this as a recurring entry.
Other articles you might find useful